Thursday, July 10, 2008

This was.. an unscheduled blogging break

I appear to be suffering from holiday-brain which has left me completely unable to get up before 10am, go to gym, leave the house before 1pm, remember to take photos, think of something to blog about, and of course, remember to do the "This is". So, whoops, sorry for letting the team down two weeks in a row everyone. Although to redeem myself, I actually went into an opshop yesterday, shocking I know. Sadly I left empty handed as I was with two friends who aren't exactly the crafty-vintage-loving-op-shop-type. Their lose really. Or mine I guess, considering I had exactly thrity seconds to look around the whole shop.

Anyway getting back to the latest "This is" which is: This is my most treasured childhood possession. After thinking about it for awhile I realised that it's pretty hard to narrow down what would actually be my Number 1 most prized possession. Possible candidates include: My huge collection of Barbies, whole bookshelves of Noddy and The Babysitter's Club (also a notable selection of other Enid Blyton books), My Little Ponies, any of my gajillion stuffed animals (Simba and Nala from the Lion King being favourites), or any of the plastic/porcelain/sewn dolls which I loved to "beautify" by applying makeup to.

I think that the things that I treasure most NOW from my childhood are the things that my Mum made for me, she was quite the sewer back then and I think that's why I can feel it in my blood despite still having never really given it a go. My Mum made me clothes, dolls, ill-fated teddy bears (his head fell off..), and a giant patchwork quilt which still sits on my bed back home. By a strange coincidence when I was home last week I took photos of two of my favourite dresses from when I was a little twirly-dressy-show-off which I've kept in my cupboard back home. But what I discovered annoyingly yesterday was that I had uploaded the photos onto my parents computer and then deleted the photos from my camera by mistake. Thus I no longer have them here. BUT, don't despair, I happen to have two photos on my laptop where you can see the dress my Mum made for me, and a teensy bit of the other dress that I wore to death.



Oh and Mum made that hat too, isn't she great? Hopefully I can follow in her footsteps because I'd love to see my little girl(s?) in handmade clothes and funky straw hats with bows, I mean seriously who wouldn't? When I get those photos back I can show you a dress with some serious smocking that looks amazing. I wonder if she ever learned to crochet? Because I tell you what, Pip is seriously influential sometimes and I'm thinking that the lack-of-needing-a-sewing-machine appeal of crocheting might just force me into it. As if I don't need another throw rug in this flat anyway, four is clearly not enough for two couches.


1 comment:

Jenaveve said...

Wow, one talented lady, your mum! It would be great having someone in the family who sews... you never know, down the track you might have more time to get out the sewing machine and give it a crack. Meanwhile, anything else that fills the creative needs is the go.

Great pics - what a cutie! ;) And I like the b&w photo with the colored ribbon.