Wednesday, June 4, 2008

I'm no modern woman

You know when I was younger I always thought I was going to be this driven career woman. I'd go through uni with great grades, do the extra four or whatever years to get my Phd in Psychology, get into research and write all these fantastic and ground-breaking papers on the human mind and blah blah blah. Now that I'm a semester away from finishing my degree all I can think about is getting away from it all, and suddenly my daydreams are about vintage pyrex and floral linen and dreamy polaroids. What happened to the determined career warrior woman? I never saw myself as being any kind of housewife, and while I don't want to spend all my time dusting and ironing pillowcases, I don't know that it'd really be all that bad.

I think I'm growing up in a generation where everyone expects us to go to uni, get educated, be equal to men, either put off having kids or hire nannies, and be CEO's and executives. And I was totally buying into this whole idea, until I discovered the world of blogs and Frankie and Etsy and Meet me at Mikes! Suddenly there was a world of craftiness and creativity and women who weren't banished to the kitchen but also weren't trying to rule the earth! I've never been overly creative, I'm not a good drawer and I can't sew, but I like cooking and taking photos, and that's enough. The fact that I like art and craft and cooking and photography means that I'm instantly part of this new world that I've stumbled upon. I might not be making softies for Mirabel or selling prints on Etsy, but I might one day. The thing is, these things make me happy, they calm me and inspire me.

The best thing about it all is that I now know that I don't have to worry if I don't get some hot-shot career out of my degree. I'm still glad I did it, it's nice to have a degree under my belt and I know I'll probably go back and do Post-grad one day, just not yet. Next year I want to take a year off from study, I want to work part-time so that I have time to actually enjoy myself and do all the stuff that I've been telling myself I should. I want to take a photography course, I want to take cooking lessons, I want to learn to knit and make quilts, and I want to learn French. I know these courses are available out there, I just have never had the time for it. So next year is my year.

The fantastic thing is that I have this wonderful fantasy in my head of opening a bookstore with a cafe and bar. It'd be in a cool part of town, maybe in one of those alleyways hidden in the city or the inner suburbs. During the day you could come and read magazines (like Frankie, of course) and have a cup of tea or coffee, and at night you could hang around and watch local bands or listen to a poetry reading or something equally lame. We'd have mini art exhibitions for up and coming arty/crafty kids, as well as knitting nights and book clubs. Oh and a big range of games like Jenga, Chess, Checkers, Uno and Monopoly. It'd be like a combination of Meet me at Mikes, Magnation, Nevermind, and Readings. Not to steal Pip's thunder of course! In fact I'm sure we could work in collaboration :)

Anyway that's enough rambling and dreaming for one day. Can you tell I'm a Pisces much? Sorry for the long ramble-y posts of the last few days, I've been a bit bored and waiting for my Polaroid film to arrive so I can start taking pretty pictures!

5 comments:

Daydream Lily said...

Your fantasy cafe/bar/bookstore sounds amazing !!!

Oh and Ill be in for art classes with you.

Bird Bath said...

I found my priorities changed a great deal too since I was at uni.
Currently as a stay at home mum, I find a lot of inspiration in blogland...
Love the sound of your coffes hop I'd drop in for sure!!

Angela said...

Awww, your post is beautiful to read. I remember feeling the same way in my early twenties.

I have completed so many courses in photography, pattern making, arts and ceramics it all helps. It helps you discover and harness your own creativity. I'm all for courses!!

Thank you for sharing your dreams with us and I hope to maybe pop in for a coffee and game of chess at your bookstore one day!

Jenaveve said...

Keep up with the rambling posts please, they make my imagination come to life. I'm so there at your bookshop with cafe and bar... and after my latte and a good read I might have a glass of red and discuss my favourite book with other fellow readers.

It could also be a generational thing - I'm in my early 30's but only the last few years have I changed (dramatically and suddenly) from career driven warrior woman to earthy creative dreamer. Well, it's always been there, but like you say I bought into the first scenario like all the other Gen X-ers. But am so glad to have found woken up to my own style. Good luck finding yours... and have fun on your way!

Beth said...

Hi there, just found your blog. I totally relate to this! I actually started my PhD a few months ago, doing neuroscience stuff, after a couple of years away from study. I’m really enjoying the PhD, but I find that most of my “study time” is spent doodling ideas for my next craft project, surfing for recipes, reading inspiring blogs, like Mikes, and wondering whether I’m going to make it as a researcher or will I end up sewing aprons, baking cakes etc for a living. In fact I’m sitting at uni right now replying to your post! I’m definitely not career driven, I just want to learn new cool things about the people and world around me. I’m not really sure what my future is going to be... I envision doing much the same as now: part researcher, part crafty type! I definitely couldn’t be 100% researcher though.