Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Advice please?

A few weeks ago I found out that someone very close to me is pregnant! This is super exciting for me because I've never had anyone so close to me be pregnant before, only cousins, and not even the close ones. So I'm really excited to hopefully make a few things for the little bambino when it arrives. But as you all know.. my crafting/sewing skills are somewhat lacking.

The one thing that I really really want to make is a quilt. I've been wanting to make one fuh-eva but never really had the motivation.. or a timeline! I only want to make a really simple patchwork-y still one, nothing too difficult for my first ever quilt attempt. I also don't have a sewing machine, so any bit that MUST require sewing I'll have to do while I'm back at the parentals over the holidays.

So my question to you all is, should I buy a quilting book of some kind? Considering I am a beginner beginner beginner, I need the very basics of what to do and how to do it. Do you know of any good quilting books out there? Whatever advice you can give me I would appreciate to the ends of the earth!

9 comments:

fi said...

hi fi! thanks for your lovely comment!you so need to get down to amitie and speak to jenny.all you will ever need to know she knows!
nice to meet you!

Miss Cinti - my poppet said...

couldn't find an email so i'll have to leave a comment Q. babushka pinboard and dolls price?
A:
small board 20x20cm $33, large 35x60cm $66, original handmade russian babushka dolls start from $25 about 10cm and larger ones 20cm are around $49.
Good luch with your quilt. Just give it a go and stick to fairly big squares. Cheers Cinti

Kirsty said...

I think that Fiona is probably right - a good chat at a patchwork shop is probably what you need. Maybe Patchwork House is closer to home. I have a couple of baby quilt books I'd be happy to loan.

Levin said...

ok I'm not sure about the books cause i went to a class but i highly recommend a cutter, ruler, mat and 1/4" sewing foot. and start simple!
lots of ladies in my quilting class recommend the quilters ultimate visual guide. try your local library though.
and finally - do it, do it, do it - it's so much fun!
l
x

Nicola said...

This is a really good book for some basic ideas, Last-minute Patchwork and Quilted Gifts by Joelle Hoverson and Anna Williams. If you do not want the extra expense of buying a book there are a lot of "How to Quilt" pages on the web. Or go along to a local quilting group. I find the ladies there are usually so helpful to get you started.

Kara said...

Just play and see what happens. I don't use patterns but create using what I think will work. Your friend will be so pleased!

x

Reenie said...

I agree with Fiona, go and see Jenny at Amitie

Bec @ honi design said...

Talking to someone at a quilt shop is DEFINITELY the best idea.

I found that buying templates was helpful(they allowed me to cut the exact size pieces properly) and also buy a material cutter and board as it makes life ten times easier!! (and you end up with nice straight edges too!)
The library is a great way to get HEAPS of inspiration for free :) I'd say save buying a book till you know what you enjoy with quilting

thunder road said...

Amitie is a great place to start: good advice, great fabrics and resources. Also consider if you prefer hand sewing or by machine, that may help you in the right direction. Good Luck!