Wednesday, March 26, 2008

The BBQ that kinda wasn't..


So for my mini 21st back home I decided to just have a BBQ with a few of my close friends and cook up some pre-dinner nibblies and maybe something for dessert. Well the way it turned out was that I cooked so much that there was no possibility of us fitting in the actual BBQ food! To me that's a success, after all, it's not like I made the sausages and kebabs that didn't get eaten. Here are some pictures of what I made:

Chicken and pesto mini quiches (recipe here)

Double Chocolate Cupcakes with Buttercream icing and mini easter eggs of course (it was Easter Sunday by the way, recipe here)

Raspberry Swirl Cheesecakes with whipped cream and strawberries on top (recipe here)

I also made roast pumpkin and feta open pies which I took a photo of but then accidentally deleted it while I was going through my camera, you can see what they look like and get the recipe from here. Everything was so amazing and delicious and I didn't stuff anything up! That's unusual for me, I love cooking so much but have a very bad habit of reading recipes wrong and leaving out steps. For example, I once cooked a cheesecake using liquid glucose instead of gelatin. I also once made anzac biscuits and mistook the 1 teaspoon of bicarb soda for 1 tablespoon, let's just say that didn't go down well, just ask my brother, he woolfed down half a dozen of them.

In all it was a lovely night anyway with lots of laughs and "remember when" moments which always make for a great night back home. It was good to be back amongst my friends who I've known for such a long time, and while we obviously still connect on a lot of levels it always reminds me how different I am now and how much these people don't know about me, about the person I've become in Melbourne. This is my fault of course, I expect people to "get" me but forget to explain to them what exactly they need to "get". I'm still finding myself drawn away from Melbourne and perhaps even Australia, I'm in need of something new and stimulating and fresh, but I don't know that I'm strong enough for it. The perpetual question in my life: could I handle it?

1 comment:

Tara said...

Congrats on getting the cooking mojo working! It is a great feeling isn't it? You are right about my crafty mojo though, it is still on walkabouts... which is annoying because I am in all these crafty type swaps on swap-bot and now I am running late for them bcos I don't want to send people dodgy stuff! lol

(www.swap-bot.com) <--- I think I told you to check this out a while ago, I think you would love it cos you just get lots of mail and stuff from all over the world, it's kinda nanna-ish too, but hey - I think we just need to accept that that is who we are ;) If other people don't like it then that is their problem! Lol, you can see that is an issue I have struggled with over the years too hey?